ConfD radically reduces the time and resources needed to develop network management applications, helping developers meet critical market deadlines.
Traditional agents are protocol centric and are limited in ability to extend to new features. In ConfD, key management interfaces are automatically rendered from a single data model. Since all management interfaces share one set of common instrumentation functions engineers can avoid the tedious recoding efforts required by legacy stovepipe architectures.
In the Stove Pipe approach, management interfaces connect directly to the Managed Objects (MOs).
The Tail-f approach separates the management interfaces to the back-end system.
ConfD overview (22:50 minutes):
Faster Development Time
- Auto-render management interfaces from single data model
- All management interfaces share one set of common instrumentation functions avoiding maintenance overhead associated with stovepipe architectures
- Extensive schema validation
- Modular architecture with well-defined APIs between all components
- Mature software that is proven from development through deployment
- Integrated database
- TailPack libraries of source code pre-integrating protocols, middleware, and operating systems
- Experienced support team and professional services available to balance resources
- Fully compliant to support network-wide service and application programmability
- Industry-leading implementation of NETCONF protocol and YANG modeling language
Complete On-Device Management Solution
- SNMP, Cisco (IOS-XR and IOS) and Juniper-style CLI, NETCONF, REST and Web interfaces
- Integrated database for configuration and operational data
- Fully meets carrier and enterprise class requirements
Support for Key Industry Standards
- Full NETCONF support (RFC 6241) including support for transactions, validations, confirmed commits, rollbacks, event notifications, partial locking, and XPath filtering
- Support for YANG data modeling language (RFC 6020)
- SNMP Agent support for v1, v2c, and v3 including USM and VACM
- Two-phase commit transaction protocol
- Session management
- Rollback management
- Data validation
- 1:N data replication of configuration and operational data
- Ability to perform in-service data model upgrades without restarting the ConfD application
- Detailed auditing and event logging
- Role-based access control
- Authentication with external sources (e.g. RADIUS, LDAP) through PAM
- Support for symmetric multicore processing enabling ConfD to distribute processing loads over multiple cores to maximize performance
- Configuration database optimized to allow very efficient operations on tree structured data
Flexible and Extensible
- Management Agent API allows development of additional interfaces
- The Database API provides support for external data stores
- Web UI application environment using modern libraries and tools
- ConfD implemented as a lean daemon with few library dependencies and efficient use of RAM, and disk footprint
Simplifying the Management of Virtualized Network Elements in Telecom
Tail-f provides an abstraction layer between operations support systems (OSSs) and ISV software-based network elements running on Intel Xeon processors.
ConfD Product Overview
Description of ConfD’s key components and their benefits.
Tail-f ConfD, Metaswitch N-BASE and MetaCLI Integration Tailpack Datasheet
Tail-f ConfD in combination with Metaswitch N-BASE drastically reduces the time and resources needed to develop management interfaces on top of L2/L3 Protocol Stacks.
Automating Network and Service Conﬁguration Using NETCONF and YANG
A presentation on NETCONF and YANG for Service Automation presented at LISA Usenix 2011.
ConfD User Guide
Comprehensive technical manual (800+ pages) covering all ConfD modules and guide to using ConfD to develop on-device management applications.
ConfD Core Engine
The ConfD Core Engine is a shared backplane that connects configuration and operational data on the device to all management interfaces through a transaction-oriented API.
A fully featured CLI is automatically rendered from the data model used to describe configuration data.
ConfD NETCONF implements the NETCONF RFC 6241 and supporting specifications.
ConfD Web UI
The ConfD Web UI enables very rapid development of modern, dynamic, and graphical network management applications using state of the art tools.
ConfD SNMP Agent is a fully featured SNMP agent providing a northbound SNMP v1, v2, and v3 interface.
ConfD Quagga Demo – Part 1 (6:54 minutes):
ConfD Quagga Demo – Part 2 (4:20 minutes):
ConfD Quagga Demo – Part 3 (6:40 minutes):